VEGAN CARROT CAKE
Ingredients for 12 servings:
Mixture 1: Dry ingredients
- 280 g spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
- 3 Tbsp. (20g) Wake Up superfood powder mix
- 3 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 Tbsp. salt
Mixture 2: Wet ingredients
- 150 g applesauce
- 250 ml rice milk
- 125 ml olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. agave syrup
- 90 g cane sugar or brown sugar
- 180g grated carrots
For the Applesauce:
- 2 Golden apples, peeled and cored
- 1/4 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. cane sugar or brown sugar
- 80 ml water
- 2 coconut yogurts (250g)
- 3 Tbsp. xylitol or agave syrup
1. To make the applesauce: Peel, core, and slice apples into small chunks. Transfer to a medium pot. Add in water, cinnamon and cane sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let simmer 15-20 minutes until apples are soft. Puree using a blender or food processor for a smoother applesauce.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 18 x 20 cm baking dish with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together ingredients of Mixture 1: flour, Wake Up Mix, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients of Mixture 2: applesauce, milk, oil, agave syrup and cane sugar.
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
6. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45-50’ or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool completely on a wire baking rack or flat surface before adding the frosting.
7. While this is happening, you can make your frosting by combining coconut yogurts with xylitol or agave syrup. Then refrigerate to firm up for 20’. Spread it on top of the cake and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
Notes: Store frosted cake in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or covered well in the freezer for several weeks.